Simple Money Goal
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Top News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Top News
No Result
View All Result
Simple Money Goal
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

Haiti gang attack on journalists covering a hospital reopening leaves 2 dead, several wounded

by
December 25, 2024
in Economy
0
Haiti gang attack on journalists covering a hospital reopening leaves 2 dead, several wounded

Haiti’s online media association said two reporters were killed and several others were wounded in a gang attack on Tuesday on the reopening of Port-au-Prince’s biggest public hospital.

Street gangs have taken over an estimated 85% of Haiti’s capital, Port-au-Prince, and they forced the closure of the General Hospital early this year. Authorities had pledged to reopen the facility Tuesday but as journalists gathered to cover the event, suspected gang members opened fire in a vicious Christmas Eve attack.

Robest Dimanche, a spokesman for the Online Media Collective, identified the dead journalists as Markenzy Nathoux and Jimmy Jean. Dimanche said an unspecified number of reporters had also been wounded in the attack, which he blamed on the Viv Ansanm coalition of gangs.

Haiti’s interim president, Leslie Voltaire, said in an address to the nation that journalists and police were among the victims of the attack. He did not specify how many casualties there were, or give a breakdown for the dead or wounded.

“I send my sympathies to the people who were victims, the national police and the journalists,” Voltaire said, pledging “this crime is not going to go unpunished.”

A video posted online by the reporters trapped inside the hospital showed what appeared to be two lifeless bodies of men on stretchers, their clothes bloodied. One of the men had a lanyard with a press credential around his neck.

Radio Télé Métronome initially reported that seven journalists and two police officers were wounded. Police and officials did not immediately respond to calls for information on the attack.

Johnson “Izo” André, considered Haiti’s most powerful gang leader and part of a gang known as Viv Ansanm, which that has taken control of much of Port-au-Prince, posted a video on social media claiming responsibility for the attack.

The video said the gang coalition had not authorized the hospital’s reopening.

Haiti has seen journalists targeted before. In 2023, two local journalists were killed in the space of a couple of weeks — radio reporter Dumesky Kersaint was fatally shot in mid-April that year, while journalist Ricot Jean was found dead later that month.

In July, former Prime Minister Garry Conille visited the Hospital of the State University of Haiti, more widely known as the General Hospital, after authorities regained control of it from gangs.

The hospital had been left ravaged and strewn with debris. Walls and nearby buildings were riddled with bullet holes, signaling fights between police and gangs. The hospital is across the street from the national palace, the scene of several battles in recent months.

Gang attacks have pushed Haiti’s health system to the brink of collapse with looting, setting fires, and destroying medical institutions and pharmacies in the capital. The violence has created a surge in patients and a shortage of resources to treat them.

Haiti’s health care system faces additional challenges during the rainy season, which is likely to increase the risk of water-borne diseases. Poor conditions in camps and makeshift settlements have heightened the risk of diseases like cholera, with over 84,000 suspected cases in the country, according to UNICEF.

This post appeared first on cnn.com
Previous Post

‘Ordinary people with shovels’: Volunteers cleaning Black Sea oil spill ask Putin for help

Next Post

Thousands of liters of chemicals dumped into Brazilian river during deadly bridge collapse

Next Post
Thousands of liters of chemicals dumped into Brazilian river during deadly bridge collapse

Thousands of liters of chemicals dumped into Brazilian river during deadly bridge collapse

Subscribe to Simplemoneygoal.com

    Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say
    Politics

    Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

    August 28, 2025
    AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California
    Politics

    AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California

    August 28, 2025
    Lego hits record revenue in first half of 2025, boosted by brick flowers and cars
    Politics

    Lego hits record revenue in first half of 2025, boosted by brick flowers and cars

    August 28, 2025
    Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small teams in past year, exec says
    Politics

    Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small teams in past year, exec says

    August 28, 2025
    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Email Whitelisting
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Copyright © 2023 Daily Trading Digest. All Rights Reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Economy
    • Editor’s Pick
    • Investing
    • Politics
    • Stock
    • Top News

    Copyright © 2023 Daily Trading Digest. All Rights Reserved.