Simple Money Goal
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Top News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Top News
No Result
View All Result
Simple Money Goal
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

Teenager admits murder of Southport girls in attack that sparked UK riots

by
January 20, 2025
in Economy
0
Teenager admits murder of Southport girls in attack that sparked UK riots

A British teenager on Monday pleaded guilty to charges of murdering three young girls in a knife attack in northern England in July, a crime that horrified the nation and was followed by days of nationwide rioting.

Axel Rudakubana, 18, changed his pleas from not guilty to guilty on what was due to be the first day of his trial at Liverpool Crown Court.

He pleaded guilty to the murder of Bebe King, 6, Elsie Dot Stancombe, 7, and Alice Dasilva Aguiar, 9, who were at a Taylor Swift-themed dance event in the town of Southport in July.

Rudakubana also pleaded guilty to 10 charges of attempted murder relating to the attack, as well as producing the deadly poison ricin and the possession of an al Qaeda training manual.

Judge Julian Goose said he would sentence Rudakubana on Thursday and that a life jail term was inevitable. Goose noted that the victims’ families were not present to see Rudakubana plead guilty as the prosecution opening was not expected until Tuesday.

Rudakubana, who was 17 at the time of the incident, initially refused to speak when asked to confirm his name, as he had at all previous hearings which meant that not guilty pleas had been entered on his behalf in December.

But, after consulting with his lawyer, he confirmed he wished to change those pleas.

British-born Rudakubana was arrested shortly after the attack in the quiet seaside town north of the city of Liverpool.

Despite the discovery of the al Qaeda manual, police have said the incident was not being treated as terrorism-related.

In the wake of the murders, large disturbances broke out in Southport after false reports spread on social media that the suspected killer was a radical Islamist migrant.

Those disturbances spread across Britain with attacks on mosques and hotels housing asylum seekers, with Prime Minister Keir Starmer blaming the riots on far-right thuggery. More than 1,500 people were arrested.

This story has been updated.

This post appeared first on cnn.com
Previous Post

Gaza ceasefire brings hope but aid workers warn of major hurdles ahead

Next Post

Eight killed in Serbian retirement home blaze

Next Post
Eight killed in Serbian retirement home blaze

Eight killed in Serbian retirement home blaze

Subscribe to Simplemoneygoal.com

    Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.
    Politics

    Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

    August 29, 2025
    Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.
    Politics

    Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

    August 29, 2025
    Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say
    Politics

    Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

    August 28, 2025
    AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California
    Politics

    AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California

    August 28, 2025
    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Email Whitelisting
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Copyright © 2023 Daily Trading Digest. All Rights Reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Economy
    • Editor’s Pick
    • Investing
    • Politics
    • Stock
    • Top News

    Copyright © 2023 Daily Trading Digest. All Rights Reserved.