Simple Money Goal
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Top News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Top News
No Result
View All Result
Simple Money Goal
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Trump ends de minimis exemption for global low-cost goods

by
July 31, 2025
in Politics
0
Trump ends de minimis exemption for global low-cost goods

President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed an executive order ending the de minimis trade loophole for low-value packages shipped from all countries.

The order, which takes effect Aug. 29, will subject any shipments of imported goods into the U.S. worth $800 or less to duties, the White House said.

Any goods shipped through the international postal network will be subject to tariff rates based on the value of the package and its country of origin.

The move comes after Trump in May shuttered the de minimis loophole for goods from China and Hong Kong. A federal trade court on Monday declined to block Trump’s de minimis ban, even after an auto parts retailer argued the action was unlawful and threatened its business.

Use of the de minimis provision has exploded in recent years as online shopping has become more prevalent. Ultra-cheap online retailers such as Temu and Shein have used the loophole to ship packages to American shoppers directly from China duty-free.

Shares of PDD Holdings, the parent company of Temu, dipped lower following the announcement.

The Trump administration has sought to close the loophole, calling it a “big scam” that hurts U.S. businesses. Officials have said de minimis facilitates shipments of fentanyl and other illicit substances, saying the packages are less likely to be inspected by customs agents.

The volume of de minimis shipments has skyrocketed to 309 million units so far this fiscal year, up from 115 million for all of last year, the White House said.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS
Previous Post

Recall warns some Celsius energy drink cans accidentally contain alcohol

Next Post

Ontario cancels internet deal with Musk’s Starlink as part of U.S. tariff fight

Next Post
Ontario cancels internet deal with Musk’s Starlink as part of U.S. tariff fight

Ontario cancels internet deal with Musk’s Starlink as part of U.S. tariff fight

Subscribe to Simplemoneygoal.com

    Campbell’s fires executive accused of racist remarks and labeling food for ‘poor people’
    Politics

    Campbell’s fires executive accused of racist remarks and labeling food for ‘poor people’

    November 28, 2025
    Bitcoin and other crypto assets sink in flight from risk
    Politics

    Bitcoin and other crypto assets sink in flight from risk

    November 24, 2025
    Stock market sinks as AI and interest rate worries grip investors
    Politics

    Stock market sinks as AI and interest rate worries grip investors

    November 24, 2025
    Bargain hunters drive Walmart sales and outlook higher
    Politics

    Bargain hunters drive Walmart sales and outlook higher

    November 21, 2025
    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Email Whitelisting
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Copyright © 2023 Daily Trading Digest. All Rights Reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Economy
    • Editor’s Pick
    • Investing
    • Politics
    • Stock
    • Top News

    Copyright © 2023 Daily Trading Digest. All Rights Reserved.